New to Healthy by Choices? Take a look around and then sign up for inspirational, informational emails and never miss a thing!

Monday, October 10, 2011

Just Label It

This is a letter that I recently sent to Commisioner Hamburg (of the FDA). 

"Dear Commissioner Hamburg,

I am writing to urge the FDA to require the mandatory labeling of genetically engineered foods. I have a right to know about the food I eat and what I feed my family.
In America, we pride ourselves on having choices and making informed decisions. Under current FDA regulations, we don't have that choice when it comes to GE ingredients in the foods we purchase and feed our families. Labeling is essential for me to choose whether or not I want to consume or feed my family genetically engineered foods.

Genetically engineered foods are required to be labeled in the 15 European Union nations, Russia, Japan, China, Australia, New Zealand, and many other countries around the world. As an American, I firmly believe I should also have the right to know if my foods have been genetically engineered.

A recent poll released by ABC News found that 93 percent of the American public wants the federal government to require mandatory labeling of genetically engineered foods. As ABC News stated, "Such near-unanimity in public opinion is rare."
I hope you will listen to me and the other 93 percent of the American public who want mandatory labeling. Please show your support for the interests of the American people by labeling genetically engineered foods. "


The best part was that I didn't even have to write it myself.  It was already written and expressed my feelings quite well.

Want to send the same letter with your name attached?
Click here, add your name and off it goes.  Then you get to commend yourself for joining the fight against non labeled GMOs.  Good for you!

Did you know that 88% of corn, 94% of soy, and 90% of canola are genetically modified?  Want more information on GMOs and how or why to avoid them?  Click here or here.

1 comment:

Kayla said...

Yay! Thanks for sharing this. I just sent mine off too.