This is a really long list of new healthy behaviors to try in one week. Pick out one or two and try them out (don’t let the entire list overwhelm you!).
1. Check your eggs. Are they part of the current recall?
2. When you go to the grocery store, check to see where your bananas, broccoli, and peaches come from. Did they come from the US? From within 1,000, 100 or 10 miles? How do you feel about it?
3. Set your Outlook Calendar, stove timer or cell phone and once an hour, do 10 push ups. Whatever form works best for you (modified or full plank) works to strengthen the muscles in your chest, back, arms and abs. Push ups are a highly undervalued exercise that is great for your entire upper body. Don’t forget to pull in your belly button!
4. Tonight, before bed, stretch out your neck to relieve any tension that you are holding there. Bring your right ear to your right shoulder and then alternate to the left. Add in a few neck rolls and shoulder rolls to help. All together, this should take about 5 minutes. Take your time and breathe through it.
5. Keep this quote in mind throughout the week “When your ship comes in, you better be willing to unpack it.” Are there any gifts in your life that you aren’t recognizing as gifts, because you aren’t willing to unpack them?
6. Did you know that 90% of the processed goods in the grocery store aisles are filled with corn or soy products?
7. Got extra tomatoes in your garden? Try having them for a late afternoon snack. Slice them, sprinkle lightly with gorgonzola or mozzarella cheese (lightly!) and a little balsamic vinaigrette. Yum!
8. Use a small/salad/desert plate at dinner this week. Instead of letting visual cues like an empty plate tell you it is time to quit eating, let your tummy tell you. But try to eat slowly, it takes a while.
9. While you are using a small plate, remember to fill one quarter with protein, one quarter with whole grains and the other half with fruits and veggies.
10. Try the local farmer's market before they close up for the fall. This is a great time of year to get some good deals. Don't hesitate to try something new!