New to Healthy by Choices? Take a look around and then sign up for inspirational, informational emails and never miss a thing!

Monday, February 22, 2010

What kind of exercise is the RIGHT kind of exercise?




Well, that depends on what your goals are. There are endless benefits to exercise, that you will experience no matter what your goals are. It can keep your weight down, firm and tone, improve your cardiovascular health, provide a pregnant mother with a baby who is better prepared for the stresses of labor and delivery, control Type II diabetes and brighten your mental outlook.

If your goal is to gain muscle mass, the best activities involve resistance training, and there is a lot of information there. So that is a post for another day.

But, if your goal is to lose weight, firm and tone then here is some good news. The best kind of exercise is the kind that you will actually do.

A runner, who loves to run will say the best exercise is running. A swimmer who lives for the moment she slices through the water and the smell of chlorine in her hair will say swimming. If there isn't a sport or exercise that drives you to do it while you are dreaming (or even an exercise that you tolerate, let alone dream about), than the best exercise for you, is the one that you will do.

It doesn't have to happen in a fancy gym, it doesn't even have to happen in a sweaty gross gym. It just has to happen. I used to have all kinds of time to work out. And then life changed. Now, I don't have the circumstances to go out for a long run. What I do have is a good priority list-and fitness is on it. About 30 minutes of time is about all that is available, so I have to make the most of it. That includes travel time, so a gym is out of the question. I found a really good video, taped together some jars of spaghetti sauce to make the weights that I need, and in the MidWestern Winter time, I spend my 30 minutes in the basement in front of the TV letting the trainer tell me that I only have this much time, so I better make the most of it. It's not a good substitute for sunshine on my face, but it gets the job done. It is exercise that I will do. It is the right kind of exercise.

What do you do? Leave a comment and let us know what works for you!

1 comment:

Angie Knutson said...

I am still searching for the best fit for me. I have to have a goal to achieve so right now I have a trainer at the gym set me with a strength and cardio plan to keep me motivated. Without this, I become a lazy work-outer.